Friday, August 12, 2011

A Fond Farewell

Today, on Jack's exact 5.5 year birthday, we celebrated his last day of preschool.  He doesn't actually start Kindergarten until September 6th but the fellow Mom's of his best buddies and I decided to throw in a couple of extra weeks of camp.  We could tell they were starting to get the itch to get out of there, which typically happens the closer they get to the big K.  
To mark the milestone and celebrate the departure of Miss Arden and Miss Cassie's three FAVORITE boys, there was an impromptu classroom party with ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, Cars juice boxes, and balloons.  I popped down to witness the festivities and you could say these three little gentlemen were feeling the love - and were very popular, I might add.
Fast-forward a couple of hours later when I return to Jack's room to pick him up for the last and final time.  I was dreading this pick-up because certainly this would be meltdown time (I am the queen of SAP, after all!)  I immediately spot this board outside his room (oh-no, these boards have caused a couple of substantial meltdowns in the past).  Hmm, no tears.  Clean out locker and pack up paintings.  No tears.  Take a couple of pictures with Miss Cassie and JT.  Still no tears - WTH?  Either I am in total denial or I'm as ready for Kindergarten as my little man.  He has been at New Horizon with me for over 5 years.  I've never had him further than a quick walk downstairs and that is all about to change.  No question I'm in denial!  Lord help us.

Jack said his goodbyes to the Green room (literally) and we hit the road.  It is the end of an era for our big boy and the beginning of an exciting new chapter.  I am so proud of the funny, compassionate, and free-spirited 5.5 year old he has become!  

   


No comments:

Post a Comment