Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mission New Kid

 Ha!  If you think this post is about making a fourth kid... you're crazy!!!  We are trying to fix the ones we have..... by Friday!  We came to the realization that life with three boys had suddenly crossed over from normally chaotic to somewhat out-of-control.  A lot of back-talking, flat out rebelling and sense of entitlement had suddenly reared it's ugly head and something HAD to be done.  I am actually somewhat of a strict Mum but clearly something had gone seriously awry.  

Here's where I shout out a HUGE thanks to my friend Autumn who just happened to mention Have a New Kid by Friday on good 'ol FB.  After her rave review, I hopped on the super express train to Barnes & Noble wondering 'could this be the answer to our challenges?'  He does after all guarantee a new kid by Friday.  Hell, we'll try anything at this point, so let's go.  I settled into bed that night and read the entire book from epilogue to appendix.  Two nights later I sent Dad off for a couple of hours to do the same.  We were preparing for war and D-Day was imminent.

Dr. Leman claims that we baby our kids too much, pave their way too often, and allow them to get away with far too much.  He's a no-nonsense and seriously funny kind of guy, just our style.  The premise is that there is no nagging and no warnings.  You ask your kid to do something only once and they can choose to do or not do it.  If they do it, great.  If not, the next time they ask you for something you immediately say "no, I don't think so" or "no, I really don't feel like reading books tonight." They quickly begin to understand the cause and affect of their own behavior.

D-Day did indeed go down this week.  We were ready for battle (or lack thereof actually, since there is no more engaging in the typical arguing or begging to get dressed.)  When we kicked off earlier this week Jack had a seriously bad breakfast/dinner table attitude.  Common complaints included "why did he get more than I did" or "I don't like that."  After having two meals and one dessert swiftly removed from his presence,  he has come to earn the nickname Mr. Manners!  Tonight I actually heard, "thank you Mommy for making grilled cheese and soup so I can dip (funny thing is... he really dislikes grilled cheese and still didn't complain") and "may I please be excused from the table?"  Hallelujah... music to my ears... even better than Adele!  Joshi is doing well too, although he was unloaded from the car today with no shoes, socks or coat on and had to make the trek into daycare with some very chilly feet.  He was NOT a fan but I calmly reminded him that maybe tomorrow he'll put on his socks and shoes when I ask him to.  Dr. Leman touts "let reality be your teacher", this was a prime example of that theory.  Hmmm... I wonder if he'll put his socks and shoes on when I ask tomorrow morning.  We shall see but I'm guessing the answer might be yes.  You should have seen the looks on the other parents faces.  Classic!  But I didn't care because I'm going to have a new kid by Friday... and you're not. :)  

We still have a ways to go but are seeing some definite and exciting progress.  We are so, so blessed to have three awesome and truly amazing kids, but there is no room for attitude and entitlement in this crazy, boy-filled house.  Who's running the roost here?  Much to their little hearts dismay, there's a new sheriff in town... and the beautiful thing is... they know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment