Sunday, April 17, 2011

Farewell Infanthood

Friday morning drop off was a rough one!  It started out normally - Josh to his room first, followed by Jack Thomas to his room, and ending with Jamison to Yellow Infants - our very last drop off to Yellow Infants.  He is moving to the older baby room and had been visiting for a couple of weeks in anticipation of the big move.  This would be his last breakfast with our yellow friends before heading over to the new digs for good, and to me that meant leaving behind babyhood as well.  I knew it was coming but hadn't really allowed my brain to process it.  He LOVES his new room, his new friends, and his new teachers (Ms. Sara Jane and Ms. Robin) so I wasn't at all worried about his well being.  It's just that all three boys spent most of their first year in this room so there is an emotional attachment and knowing that he is more than likely our last, made it a little more difficult.

Things were going OK until I saw the board our beloved Ms. Cassie and Ms. Ashleigh had crafted for our Jamison.  As soon as I saw it the floodgates opened and the tears were flowing.  And anyone who has ever cried (of the female variety anyway) knows how hard it is to stop once you get going.  I thought I had finally caught my composure so I gave him BIG kisses and headed out the door.  Nope, I was wrong, the floodgates were just getting started.  I sat down on the bench outside baby boy's room and let it flow - it rivaled the great Mississippi flood of 1927 and immediately became very embarrassing as our fellow parents (and co-workers) trotted on by.  I have made some amazing friends through daycare over the years who often provide amazing support and this day was no exception.  They had me feeling better in no time!  I know it sounds so silly, even as I am writing it sounds silly, but I think it's something only fellow Mommy's can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment