Thursday, April 7, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Oh my, it's been forever since I posted.  Work and home life have been crazy busy!  I made it through my first trip away from the boys.  5 days and 4 nights in the 9th largest US city, Dallas, TX.  Corey and I dropped the boys off the morning I headed out.  Joshi was first and as we walked out of his room I was thinking to myself "ok, that wasn't so bad... I can do this."  Then we dropped Jack off and the look he gave me broke my heart into a million pieces.  It was like this unspoken mini-conversation we had with only our eyes in just three short seconds.  Needless to say, I left his room in tears and still had one more kid to drop off.  I managed to collect myself as we made our way to the other end of the daycare to drop off Jamison.  Once in his room, I was surprisingly calm and I think it's because there was another Mommy dropping off her little Alden and she had just returned from a four night trip to Mexico - without baby.  She survived... so I knew I could too!  No more tears - until I hit security anyway.

I checked my hot pink Elle Woods suitcase and was feeling pretty good.  Security started off well and quickly went downhill as my "mother" bag (pump) made it's way across the beltway.  The x-ray guard kept moving the beltway - forward, backward, forward, backward, forward, backward.  The belt was squeeky so it suddenly became a bad rap song.  She finally decided to use her secret hand signal and flag a couple of additional security personnel over.  They came rushing over and said "who's bag is this???"  "It's mine", I said.  "We need to search it as well as your backpack, follow me."  I'm a pretty calm and collected gal most of the time so I followed him over to the official search area like it was no big deal, I do this every day.  He began by wiping some cotton looking things through my bags and inserting them into the drug residue machine.  Then it was time to unload.  Out came the bottles, the parts and all the other embarrassing stuff that goes along with pumping.  He was embarrassed too so he quickly stuffed them back in, with the exception of the 8 ice packs I had just bought the day before to use as my travel cooler on the trek back home.  He painstakenly inspected each and every one under a special light - I can only assume he was looking for a weapon, drugs or a shoe bomb hidden amongst the blue gel.  Just as I  thought he was done, a "supervisor" was called over.  She saw them and immediately said "nope, compiscate."  I explained how I need them for the way home and I didn't have a car to buy more, and, and, and.  Surely she would understand being a fellow woman, right?  Nope, she was evil.  Threw them ALL away along with my $40 facewash that I mistakenly put in my backpack and forgot to transfer to the Elle Wood (I'll take credit for this dumb mistake.)  This, along with being slightly emotionally unstable after leaving my boys for the first time, caused a perfect meltdown.  I think it was all an unfortunate case of breastal profiling (ok, bad joke, I know!)  Nothing a very large $13 bloody mary couldn't cure.

The trip was extremely busy so I hardly had time to think about what was happening at home.  Everyday began with an 8am breakfast, followed by a full day of meetings with newspapers and was topped off with a fancy dinner out.  Meanwhile at home, Dad was handling the boys beautifully!  In fact, Jamison slept through the night the entire time I was gone.  What!?!  The little stinker has been playing me like a fiddle for 10.5 months.

I arrived home on Tuesday and made a b-line for daycare.  I was so scared my baby boy wouldn't remember me (sounds so silly, right?)  As soon as I walked in the door I knew - he didn't forget!  He gave me his famous scrunchy nose, big tooth smile and practically dove out of Ms. Ashleigh's arms to see me. Whew!  Jack and Mosh were so excited to see Mom too, but not nearly as excited as I was to see them.

I had a great time and it was nice to be away for a few days - but there is nothing better than coming home to my sweet angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment