Sunday, May 15, 2011

Crocs... Friend or Foe?


Before the little J's came along I SWORE my kids would never wear Crocs.  I watched our 3 nephews run around in them and seriously contemplated "what the hell is the draw of these strange little rubber shoes with a bunch of holes in them?"  Rubber boots, I get.  Rubber gloves, sure.  But rubber shoes... entirely rubber shoes?  Yuk!  

Much to my own surprise, I bit the bullet back in 2008 when I bought a pair for Jack after realizing there must be something to this Croc craze.  Although I still think they are ridiculously hideous, they've become a summer staple in our house because nothing is easier to throw on and run around the yard in.  

Today we made our annual trip to the Croc store at the Mall of America.  It took about an hour to pick the perfect Crocs and of course the Jibits that would go on top to doll 'em up a bit.  Boy oh boy... this is the heaviest decision my boys make all year, let me tell you!  They can each pick four, 2 for each shoe, and you would think they were choosing their future wife.  

Joshua finally settled on Uniqua (a sassy little pink gal from the Backyardigans - he wanted pink Crocs, so this was a good compromise), Lightning McQueen, Woody, and Buzz Lightyear.  Jack settled on a soccer ball, the number 5 (because he's five, of course), Lightning McQueen, and the Cars Fire Truck (who's name escapes me.)  Jamison will have to wait because even though those Jibits are nearly impossible to squeeze through those little holes, he will surely figure out a way to get it free and eat it.  

$109 later we headed out the door.  $109 on Crocs!!!  What has the world come to?

We had worked up quite the appetite after our Croc adventure so I treated the boys to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.  Not that I ever want my children to be afraid of anything, but Joshi being slightly scared of the very large singing gorilla's was a beautiful thing.  Chatty Kathy barely spoke a word the entire lunch.  He was far too busy watching these big furry creatures - just to be sure they weren't coming to get him.  I so enjoy a good date with my boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment