Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Etiquette 101

I took Jack and Joshua to swimming tonight.  Joshua doesn't actually start his lessons until next month but he likes to tag along and eat fruit snacks while Jack does all the work.  As the night progressed, it occurred to me that we have some work to do in the etiquette department.  How do I know this?  

Clue #1
Just before hopping into the pool, Jack announced he had to go potty.  As he was walking toward the bathroom, all I saw was his little white butt staring me in the face.  Apparently, waiting until you actually get to the bathroom to pull down your pants is entirely inefficient.

Clue #2
I was helping Jack dry his swimsuit and turned around to find Joshua on his knee's peering under a changing room door.  He was flirting with the little girl on the other side - "Hi in there.  What chyou doing in there?"

Clue #3
The post-swim showers are located around the pool and are very open for all to see.  Since Jack is the big five, he insists on washing himself and does a great job of it.  Normally, he washes his tummy, hair, armpits, etc. but tonight, much to my surprise, he decided the boy bits needed a good washing as well... in front of his 50 closest friends.  Hey, why not?  They are skin too. 

It's amazing to me how innocent and care free these little guys are.  When a teachable moment pops up that allows me to explain proper etiquette, they only ask "but why Mommy?"  Good question - the world should be a little more carefree.  We should all feel free to show our little white butts.  Ok - maybe not that but I know there is some kind of lesson here for us grown-ups to take away as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment