Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Camp Boy Chronicles

Grayson, Jordan, Cole & Jack - the 4 Musketeers
Our little Jack stepped out into the big, bad world all by himself last week.  Ok, not exactly the big, bad world and not exactly by himself.  He went to YMCA camp with his four best buddies.  We booked it way back in March so it's been a loooonnnnng wait for our excited little day camper and the time had finally come.  He watched the camp video no less than 25 times.  I silently wondered to myself the Sunday before - will he cry getting on the bus for the first time?  Will he cling to my leg and say he never wants to leave my side, ever?  Will he drag me to camp with him?  Ummm... no, none of that happened.  He hopped on that bus with a little pep in his step like he knew it was the passageway to true boyhood.  I was lucky enough to get a loving smile but he was very careful not to show too much emotion - wouldn't want anyone to think he wasn't cool.
I though about him about every 5 minutes each day throughout the week wondering what they were doing at that exact moment.  It's such a strange feeling as a parent to not know exactly what your child is doing - especially when they are in the woods with bears.  Ok, maybe no bears, but who knows?!?  We knew Nate (their camp Counselor) and Christian (an adorable LIT or Leader in Training who they all adored) were taking perfect care of them.
Christian and the Boys
I couldn't wait to pick him up each day but I quickly realized I wouldn't get much out of him because apparently, what happens at camp, stays at camp!  He was so tight-lipped about the days happenings I could hardly get anything out of him.  I did get one tidbit.  Mom: "How was your day at camp?"  Jack: "Guess what we saw Mommy?!?"  Mom: "What did you see honey (excited that I was finally going to get an exciting camp story)?"  Jack: "Horse poop... and it was HUGE!!"  Well, I'll take what I can get.
Jack and Grayson.  These two cuties have been together since they were
three months old.  They have somewhat of a brotherly type love.
I absolutely LOVE this picture below.  Check out these cool cats chilling against the bus with their legs crossed.  So funny and suddenly so grown up.  I swear he aged 5 years in one week!
 Make that 4 years.  Silliness has not left the building.
 One week of camp down, two to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment